11/17/2010

Catholic Universities

The intersection of doctrinal purity and academic freedom is in the news in this article from Inside Higher Ed. At question is a religious institution's concern over theology being taught in a manner consistent with its beliefs, and what -- if any -- latitude faculty have in pursuing questions related to doctrine. If you are interested in such questions, the article is worth a read. My own experience with the matter is limited to a job interview I had, many years ago, at a Catholic college. A couple of different times, during two separate interviews, the interviewer asked how I would respond to a student who sought advice about abortion. A look at my c.v. will reveal that I have never taught at a Catholic-affiliated college, so I am left to conclude that my answer (that it was a matter between her and God) wasn't sufficiently orthodox. It would be interesting to know how that school would handle an interview for a theology position.

No comments: