7/16/2007

Facing East at APA in San Francisco

You may be hard-pressed to find a city with more cultural attractions than San Francisco, but if you are attending APA next month, consider attending Facing East. It is a play rich in themes that will interest psychologists who study religion. The story revolves around the suicide of a gay Mormon, and features dialogue between his parents and his partner. Facing East is written by Carol Lynn Pearson, who is most famous for Good-bye, I love you, the powerful, true story of her relationship with her husband who left her for a man, contracted aids, and later returned to Carol Lynn to die. I had the pleasure of hearing her speak once, many years ago, and remember her as a remarkable story teller with something important to say. I've reserved my ticket for the Friday night (Aug. 17) performance. Come along, and we can discuss the play afterwards!

1 comment:

Michael Nielsen said...

In case you are interested, there is a good summary of the play at http://www.playbill.com/news/article/109581.html. Reading that, I now wish that I'd made my reservation for August 19th so I could listen to the discussion with Pearson. If you happen to go, I'd love to hear your reaction to the discussion.