1/31/2006

Further Study

I often receive questions such as this one, sent by Claire today. She writes:

- - -

Hello,
 
I am a British 17 year old A level student, and am currently studying Religious Studies. I have recently become interested in the psychology behind relgion and came across your page by chance while looking for a related work experience placement. I don't really know much about how this is used in the real world, but was wondering if you could help? Is there a specific career in this field? Or somewhere that studies or researches it professionally? Where should I go to gain work experience? Your advice would be much appreciated.
 
Yours sincerely,
 
 
Claire
 
 
- - -

Here is my response. If you have additional suggestions, please share them.


Hello Claire,

Most people who pursue advanced studies in psychology of religion plan to either:
- teach and do research at a college/university, or
- use it as part of counseling (i.e., by getting a degree in counseling and incorporating Christian or other religious/spiritual teachings)

Every once in a while, someone also wishes to simply learn more and pursues study for that reason.

If you would like to gain more experience, you would do well to contact people in your country who are involved in the field. In Britain there are several possibilities. I've listed some on my "Exchange" pages:
http://www.psywww.com/psyrelig/exchange/index.html
and there are also some on my graduate study page:
http://www.psywww.com/psyrelig/grad.htm

People seeking opportunities in other countries may also find some colleges or universities near them on those pages.

Best wishes,
Michael Nielsen

No comments: